Hoosiers of faith are a powerful advocate for Indiana's environment.
This workshop will explore the role of faith and advocacy and train participants on how to build power and make a meaningful impact for creation care.
We will hear stories from successful campaigns, learn about the nuts and bolts of advocacy, talk with elected officials, meet new people from across the state, and have some fun.
Please join us on Saturday, December 6!
Agenda for Saturday, Dec. 6 Workshop at Epworth United Methodist Church
9:00 Registration (coffee and pastries)
9:15 Welcome & Introductions Rev. Dennis Shock
9:30 Why Energy Advocacy by People of Faith? Rev. Dennis Shock
9:50 Tools & Strategies for Advocating as a Faith Community Rev. Dennis Shock, Doris Karr, Annette Johnson
- Examples from a Successful Campaign in Indianapolis
- Growing your contact list
- Telling Your Story/Personal Narrative
- Meeting with elected officials
- Letters to editor
- Prayer Walks, Rallies and Other Events
11:00 Panel Discussion: Working with Elected Officials
- Jodi Perras, Sierra Club Beyond Coal and GreenFaith Fellow 2014 (moderator)
- Indianapolis City-County Councilor Zach Adamson
- Mark St. John, St. John Associates
- State legislator (TBD)
12:00 Lunch Break — Soup and Bread courtesy of Epworth UMC Green Team
12:30 Advocacy Requirements for Congregations Matt Skuya
1:00 HIPL Agenda/Issues for 2015 General Assembly Speakers TBD
- Energy Efficiency
- Net Metering
2:00 Next Steps Jack Hill
6450 Allisonville Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46220
Google map and directions