Thank you for registering for H-IPL's Climate Boot Camp!
On this page you will find the preparatory readings for the boot camp experience.
Several of them are what we'd like to call "required readings." They are relatively brief, but informative:
- Ellen Davis, "Knowing Our Place: Learning Environmental Responsibility from the Old Testament," in The Green Bible (HarperOne, 2011).
- Sallie McFague, “A Manifesto to North American Middle-Class Christians,” in Moral Ground: Ethical Action for a Planet in Peril (ed. Kathleen Dean Moore and Michael P. Nelson; Trinity University Press, 2011).
- Norm Wirzba, “Climate and Compost: Gardening in a Time of Climate Change,” Christian Century, Feb. 23, 2015.
- George Mason Center for Climate Change Communication, “Climate Change in the American Christian Mind.”
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, “Climate Change 2014 Synthesis Report.”
- Jason Hickel, "Clean Energy Won't Save Us--Only a New Economic System Can," The Guardian, July 15, 2016.
The remaining two are for you to peruse as you find time, particularly since the first one is extremely important but by no means brief. The second was actually cowritten by one of our Boot Camp graduates, a student at Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary.
- Pope Francis, Laudato Si’: On the Care of Our Common Home (the famed encyclical). Here is a pdf. Read the first chapter, and then, depending on your interest, you may choose certain other sections to read more closely, or may take some time to read the whole thing in segments. Various guides and summaries are available to help you navigate and choose portions to concentrate on. This one looks especially helpful.
- Katerina Friesen and Sheri Hostetler, “A New Climate for Discipleship,” in The Mennonite, April 2015.
If you have any special dietary needs or would like to request a vegetarian meal, or have any other questions, please contact Trisha Tull.