Hoosier IPL offers several benefits to its affiliates, including:
- Assistance with outreach to congregation and community;
- Tools for both congregations and individuals for education and wise energy use;
- Workshops to educate congregations and communities
Individuals, congregations, and regional clusters of congregations may choose to affiliate with us. Click here to learn more about our Regional Affiliates throughout the state of Indiana.
Individual Affiliation: Affiliating with H-IPL as an individual consists of joining the mailing list and contributing to our common work by doing at least one of these:
- Volunteering in environmental work with H-IPL and/or one of its regional affiliate groups.
- Making monetary contributions of any size at least annually to H-IPL.
Congregational Affiliation: Affiliating with H-IPL as a congregation involves:
- Appointing a liaison person or group (such as a green team or member of the property committee) who will receive communications and promote events, programs, and resources of H-IPL. If there is a regional affiliate in the area, the liaison will ordinarily work directly with that affiliate group.
- Engaging with H-IPL’s programs for fossil fuel reduction, environmental policy, and/or environmental education.
- As possible, making regular contributions to support H-IPL’s work from the congregation’s mission budget and creating opportunities for congregational members to give individually.
Congregations wishing to enter a deeper relationship, including significant efforts at energy reduction in worship buildings and homes may consider embarking on our full Using Energy Prudently program that provides tools for ambitious energy reduction in worship buildings and homes, and aiming for certification with EPA's Energy Star program, Interfaith Power and Light's Cool Congregations, and/or your own denominational green certification program.
Regional Affiliation: Hoosier IPL also works to join neighboring congregations within the same county or city into groups called “regional affiliates.” We currently have affiliate groups in Fort Wayne, Muncie, Kokomo, Indianapolis, Bloomington, Terre Haute, and Evansville, and are always eager to partner with local congregations or environmental groups to help form new groups. Affiliating with H-IPL as a group of congregations and/or individuals involves:
- Entering a covenant to form a local group. While congregations may join the regional affiliate, individuals may also do so without seeking official status from congregational leaders. By promoting the affiliate’s and H-IPL’s initiatives, they become ad hoc liaisons to their congregation.
- Meeting regularly for education and program planning
- Continuing in good faith to work together with H-IPL according to the terms of the covenant.
To learn about our existing regional affiliates, go here.