How Hoosier Congregations are Cutting their Energy Use by 25% to 40% – and Yours Can Too
Reducing energy use by 25% or more is easy and inexpensive. This workshop equips congregations with the tools they need to greatly reduce energy use in their houses of worship and save significant funds for other purposes.
- Sealing your building’s envelope: Discover where hot and cool air are escaping from your building and what to do about it.
- HVAC Equipment: Learn about maintaining and replacing equipment, and how to use zoning & thermostat setbacks to slash energy waste.
- Lighting technologies and controls: Learn how to decide what to use, where, and what the payback will be.
- Detecting “energy hogs”: Find other areas of energy waste and learn how to correct them.
Building professionals & leaders from congregations that have
been reducing their energy use by 25% and more.
- January 12: Muncie
- January 19: Kokomo
- January 25: Oldenburg – POSTPONED due to snow
- February 1: Goshen — POSTPONED due to snow
- February 9: Bloomington, First United Church
- February 16: Terre Haute/St. Mary of the Woods, 2-5pm
- March 2: Indianapolis: — POSTPONED due to snow
- March 8: Fort Wayne Plymouth Congregational Church, 2 – 5:00pm
- March 13: Regional Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Bloomington, St. Thomas Lutheran, 3800 E. Third St. (812)332-5252.
- Sunday, April 6th: Indianapolis, 2- 5 PM, First Friends Meeting, 3030 Kessler Boulevard E. Drive: Map Register here.
- May 17: Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis. Details forthcoming.
- May 18: Indianapolis, Eastside Creation Care Network. Downey Avenue Christian Church, Indianapolis. 2-5pm. Map Register here
- May 22: Columbus, Center for Congregations, 9 AM – 4 PM, First Baptist Church of Columbus, 3300 Fairlawn Drive, Columbus, IN 47203. Registerhere.
- May 31: Goshen, 2 to 5 PM, Waterford Mennonite Church, Goshen. Map; Register here
- June 1: South Bend, 2 to 5 PM, Kern Road Mennonite Church, South Bend Map; Register here
Who should attend and what to bring: To maximize the likelihood that congregations will be able to implement a deep energy reduction plan, we ask each congregation send a team of at least two to four people. Ideally, this team will include a leader from the Building or House Committee, a trustee, and green team member.
WHY PARTICIPATE IN THE USING ENERGY PRUDENTLY WORKSHOP?
Savings: Your congregation can likely save a lot on utility bills by cutting out waste. And these funds can go straight into mission. One of our congregations cut its energy use by 50% – it is saving $10,000 a year.
Simple how-to help: You can do this! With stories and step-by-step tools, we’ll show you how to cut your congregation’s energy use and get your congregation on board. You’ll have time to figure out what will work for you. You’ll get just what you need to put your learning into action.
Support: And you’ll leave with a community. The workshop will give you a network that can support you as you save your congregation money for mission.
What do people say they’ve gained from these workshops?
“We saw it’s really doable.”
“Down-to-earth suggestions about improvements.”